In the modern world, there are many medical and social problems that arise unexpectedly and have a specific course, one of which is the disease of civilization - psoriasis. The disease occurs in 1. 5 - 2% of the population of progressive countries, it spreads evenly among men and women, and manifests itself regardless of the age of the patient.
Is it psoriasis or psoriasis?
Psoriasis or psoriasis is a genetically determined skin pathology, which is based on recurrent chronic inflammatory processes of the skin (impaired maturation of keratinocytes) caused by the influence of trigger factors. The localization of the rash is very diverse, the focal location of psoriasis can occur on the oral mucosa and on the scalp, the extensor surface of the limbs, nails, or throughout the body.
Since psoriasis is a systemic disease, lesions will also be characteristic of the cardiovascular, nervous, musculoskeletal and other systems. In addition, the manifestation of the disease in 80% of cases at an early stage is the defeat of the scalp, so in this article we would like to pay special attention to the localization of psoriasis determined.
Causes of psoriasis in the head
There are 2 types of psoriasis onset: early and late. Early types are determined genetically, heredity plays an important role here. It is known that the presence of the disease in one parent increases the risk of psoriasis in children by 14%, and with psoriasis in both parents - by 40%.
There are more than 100 factors for the occurrence of scaly lichen, the most common of which are:
- infectious (tonsillitis) and allergies
- stress (psychosomatic)
- metabolic disorders (lipids, enzymes)
- immune disorders.
Symptoms of scalp psoriasis
A characteristic element for psoriasis is a symmetrical flat height above the surface of the skin with an even rounded border and increased roughness, combined with a large number of silvery scales that are easily removed. The size of the rash can vary from 1 mm to 2 cm, and therefore the formations often merge and form plaques with different configurations, which can reach 10 cm or even 20 cm.
A frequent occurrence in psoriasis is the so -called "psoriatic crown" - the transition of the neoplasm to the smooth skin of the neck or temporal area along the hairline. A notable symptom that is prevalent among scalp psoriasis patients is itching.
Psoriasis is defined by three main symptoms (psoriatic triad):
- "Stearin stain" - psoriatic plaque is scraped with a glass slide, as a result of which the scales become thinner, which increases the snow -white color of the surface and resembles a drop of frozen stearin.
- "Terminal film" - with further abrasion, a smooth translucent surface will be observed.
- "Blood dew" - the presence of small droplets of blood when scraping.
The stage of development of psoriasis
The psoriatic process consists of 3 next stages:
- I am progressive
- II is still
- III regressive
It is characterized by the formation of new papules that are enlarged in diameter. The exfoliation process does not extend to healthy areas of skin, leaving a narrow pink streak along the edges of the plaque. The main symptom in patients is itching. Also, for progressive or acute stages of psoriasis, the presence of the Koebner phenomenon is characteristic - the formation of new papules 7 days after skin injury. There is a triad of psoriatic symptoms.
At this stage, there is no appearance of new elements of the rash, the manifestations of itching are reduced or disappear altogether. Diagnosing a psoriatic triad is problematic, and Koebner’s symptoms are negative.
In the backward stage, exfoliation is reduced, plaque disappears, but hypopigmentation spots form. Psoriatic symptoms were not detected. Keep in mind that even after the regression stage, "task plaques" remain in the scalp, knee and elbow areas.
The stage of the disease according to the degree of damage
Depending on the lesion area, there are 3 stages of psoriasis:
- mild - less than 3% affected area
- moderate - the prevalence of papular rash is from 3 to 10%
- severe - lesions are localized on more than 10% of the skin.
How to cure psoriasis on the head
There are various combined methods of drug and non -drug treatment of psoriasis aimed at minimizing lesions, improving the quality of life of patients, and reducing the incidence of relapses.
Treatment of psoriasis depends on the extent of the skin lesion, the shape and age of the patient. If there is additional pathology of organs and systems, it is corrected. Patients were prescribed a diet with limited intake of salt, fatty foods and fast carbohydrates.
Effective methods for systemic therapy of psoriasis are as follows:
- desensitization (30% sodium thiosulfate solution),
- sedatives (valerian infusion, sedatives),
- vitamins (A, B1, B12, B6, E, C),
- pyrogenic supplies,
- immunostimulatory drugs,
In the common form of acute psoriasis, as well as in erythroderma, a short -acting corticosteroid (triamcinalone) is prescribed.
With damage to the musculoskeletal system (joints), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (diclofenac sodium, voltaren, nimesulide) are indicated.
For the treatment of complicated forms of psoriasis, cytostatics (metatrexate, azathioprine) are used.
In severe forms of psoriasis (index more than 15 units), cytostatics, sedatives, and aromatic retinoids are added to the therapy. In very complicated episodes of scalp psoriasis, glucocorticosteroids are used.
In mild cases of psoriatic disease (PASI index up to 15 units), hyposensitizing drugs, detoxifying and antihistamines, as well as hepatoprotectors are used.
The use of topical treatment depends on the stage of scaly lichen:
- progressive - 1 - 2% salicylic ointment, corticosteroid cream and ointment
- stationary - 5 - 10% naphthalene ointment, 3% salicylic ointment, 2 - 5% sulfur -tar ointment, bath with a decoction of chamomile
- regressive-salicylic ointment 3-5%, naphthalene ointment 10-20%, sulfur-tar ointment 5-10%, psorkutan
Mercury-salicylic ointments, lotions and shampoos Psoriks, Tar balms, preparations with zinc are very popular for scalp psoriasis. Also part of the treatment of this disease is a warm bath once every 2-3 days. In the form of winter psoriasis, therapy is based on the use of ointments in combination with ultraviolet radiation.
Non -drug treatment
The treatment of psoriasis is based not only on medications. The use of phototherapy methods also contributes to rapid recovery and the onset of remission.
There are the following types of radiation exposure:
- Photochemotherapy (PUVA therapy) is a type of phototherapy combined with the use of photosensitizers. The mechanism lies in the action of ultraviolet radiation on the surface of the skin to treat a complicated form of psoriatic disease.
- Selective therapy is more effective in the treatment of exudative and simple forms of psoriasis, when there is a small number of rashes. The course of therapy consists of 20-30 sessions, the effectiveness of which is 80%.
- Narrow band therapy - used in the presence of superficial psoriasis, the radiation does not penetrate deep into the skin balls, but has only a superficial effect. This procedure aims to prevent the process of malignant cell degeneration.
- Narrow Spectrum UVB Treatment - This type of therapy significantly reduces side effects such as redness and burning. The course of the procedure is 20-30 sessions, it is used for skin lesions only.
Also, the positive impact comes from spa treatments. Well -known sources of healing are Lake Kunigunda, the Crimean coast, the Black Sea and the Dead Sea.
Scientists do not stop and continue to find new effective methods to treat psoriasis, among which are the following.
A gentle intoxication procedure that helps cleanse the blood plasma of pathogenic components and toxins. After one procedure, as a rule, up to 30% of the blood is cleared. This manipulation is used in cases of severe and complicated psoriasis. The plasmaphoresis course is conducted in 3-6 sessions, with a break for one week.
The mechanism of this procedure is as follows: a specific membrane filters the fluid between the cells and returns it back to the bloodstream, while the beneficial components are preserved as much as possible and the pathogenic toxic substances are destroyed.
Cryotherapy or "cold treatment"
The therapy of this disease is due to the effects of ultra-low levels on the body. The sharp cold effect helps activate the immune system and stimulates metabolism in general. This procedure has both a complex effect on the whole body, and a local one, aimed at focusing skin lesions.
It is important to remember that cryotherapy is not suitable for all patients. Due to the anatomical features of the vessel location, some individuals experience spasm, swelling and sharp vessel expansion, as a result of which blood circulation is disrupted. In addition, some patients may be prone to allergic reactions such as cold urticaria.
Effects of cryotherapy:
- increase the body's defenses
- a better regeneration process
- negative symptoms disappear: itching, burning, peeling
- increase metabolism in the skin
- prolonging the remission period.
These are protein -based products that have a direct effect on the immune system and prevent the occurrence of concomitant diseases. With the presence of psoriatic processes, the body is constantly replenished due to the excessive amount of TNF protein. These drugs block the effects of TNF-a, so the symptoms of the inflammatory process in psoriasis are reduced.
An effective new method for the treatment of psoriasis. It is known that ozone has detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, antiplatelet, immunomodulatory effects. The advantages of ozone therapy are ease of use, rapid efficacy, reliability, and complete absence of side effects.
Features of psoriasis treatment in children and adolescents
It should be noted that psoriatic disease is less common in children than in adults. The explanation is a low level of psoriasis detection, frequent regression cases and a significant remission period of up to 12 years.
Characteristic of the clinical picture of pediatric psoriasis are frequent lesions on the skin under the hair. Girls get sick 2 times more often than boys, which is linked to endocrinopathy that occurs during adolescence. Children are characterized by a clear picture of the pathological process (significant inflammation and varying degrees of itching).
In children under the age of 10, the manifestations of psoriasis symptoms differ from those in adults. Localization of the rash occurs in atypical places such as the face, back of the head, genitals or the inside of the subcutaneous folds. The trigger mechanism for the onset of the disease is often an acute infection (influenza, pneumonia), psycho-emotional stress.
In most children, the first signs of a lesion appear on the scalp and are accompanied by redness, flaking of the scales. Even in the most severe cases of scalp psoriasis, hair loss is not uncommon.
Therapy for childhood psoriasis is based on the use of medicated ointments and creams; in severe episodes, a combination with other drugs is used. This approach allows you to reduce the negative manifestations of the disease and contribute to a speedy recovery.
How to treat psoriasis on the head at home
In the fight against dry scalp in psoriasis, various foundation creams, lotions, herbal shampoos, water -based emulsions are used, which not only relieve skin inflammation, but also help reduce the symptoms of psoriasis.
The most popular home remedies for psoriasis are creams, salicylic ointments, and specialty shampoos.
Use non -hormonal agents based on natural ingredients. The active ingredients can vary, the most common:
- zinc - quickly eliminates dryness and inflammation of the skin, has antiseptic properties, has antibacterial effect
- vitamin D - used to treat simple forms of psoriatic disease, relieve unpleasant symptoms such as peeling and itching, and also help promote regrowth
- urea and naphthalene - have a tonic and soothing effect on the skin
- herbal extracts - have disinfecting properties, eliminate hypersensitivity and exacerbate the inflammatory process
- floralizin - promotes rapid recovery, relieves unpleasant manifestations of psoriasis
- urea and beeswax - ideal for sensitive skin in need of hydration and nutrition, restores the protective barrier
Salicylic ointment in the fight against psoriasis
Salicylic acid, derived from willow bark, is the active ingredient in salicylic ointments and has anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties. The advantage of salicylic ointment over hormone medications is the absence of side effects.
Positive properties of salicylic ointment:
- fights inflammation - eliminates itching and redness
- antiseptic action - eliminates pathogenic microorganisms
- keratoplastic effect - prevents the occurrence of purulent foci, promotes the process of regeneration.
- destroys horny material - peels off the crust.
Salicylic-zinc ointment is also widely used in the treatment of psoriasis and is no less effective.
There are the following types of shampoos for the treatment of scalp psoriasis:
- Based on birch tar. Tar helps cleanse the skin of the stratum corneum gently, of impurities, eliminates itching and burning, and has antifungal properties.
- Antifungal - the main active ingredient of ketoconazole eliminates the reproduction of fungal infections and promotes wound healing on the skin.
- Consists of salicylic acid, ketoconazole, zinc. This spray shampoo eliminates inflammatory processes, softens the skin and has an antiseptic effect.
- Healing. Normalizes subcutaneous fat secretion, strengthens hair, relieves inflammation.
It is also important to remember that when washing your hair with psoriasis, you should use only warm water, not hot. It is necessary to minimize the use of hair dryers, curlers and ironing.
Treatment of psoriasis folk remedies
Lotion based on celandine, aloe vera, chamomile, apple cider vinegar is great for treating psoriasis. A bandage moistened with the solution is applied to the lesion. This procedure reduces inflammation, kills pathogens and increases metabolism in the skin.
Also no less effective are kefir and mud masks, which also act as part of traditional medicine. Such a mask also moisturizes the hair, has anti-inflammatory effect, improves blood circulation in the scalp.
Which product is better?
For the treatment of scalp psoriasis, it is better to use a soft, gentle, fragrance -free product. Regular cleansing and moisturizing is the foundation of proper hair and skin care for psoriasis. It is important that the products used help normalize nutrient balance, restore affected skin areas, maintain the pH of the scalp, and moisturize the stratum corneum of the epidermis.
All these effects and even more are features of products from the Fitomarket online store. Here you can choose not only the most suitable way and high-quality method of care for scalp psoriasis, but also get the right advice on the right medications for you.
Frequently asked questions
Can psoriasis be cured with zinc ointment?
Zinc ointment has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, enveloping effect, promotes the formation of a protective layer on the skin surface. If you lubricate the affected area daily with zinc ointment, then the positive effects will come quickly, but this drug is not able to cure psoriasis completely, because its treatment must be complex.
Can you cure scalp psoriasis with hydrogen peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide, by releasing active oxygen, performs mechanical cleansing and removes toxic substances on damaged skin, but, as in the case of zinc ointment, it will not work to cure scalp psoriasis with this component alone.
Is psoriasis contagious?
Psoriasis is not contagious, because it has a non -contagious nature, so avoiding contact and communication with people with the disease is not worth it.
Is scalp psoriasis dangerous?
If left untreated, psoriasis can lead to serious complications and even death. Do not forget that psoriatic lesions can spread to the inner layers of the skin, as well as to other organs and systems of the body (nails, cardiovascular system, musculoskeletal system, etc. ).
How to distinguish psoriasis from dermatitis
It is known that seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp never affects smooth skin and is characterized by the absence of infiltration processes, in contrast to seborrheic psoriasis, which forms a "psoriatic crown", moving to the smooth areas of the forehead and neck skin. . Also worth noting are hereditary factors in the incidence of psoriasis.